Thursday, May 19, 2011

Hawaiian Haystacks

This is probably something that everyone is familiar with and quite honestly you probably all have been eating it most of your lives, I on the other hand was introduced to this nummy little treat my first year of college. I was a member of my college's dance team and on Friday nights, the day before a football game, we would get together as a team and have these dinner parties. One night we had Hawaiian Haystacks for one of these parties and I was amazed by it's goodness. I also have a dear friend that was a very good "mother" to all of us college kids and we had a Hawaiian Haystack night occasionally. Seriously I fell in love with this dish. I have tried to let my mother know how easy it is, but she seldom tries new things so I guess this will stay on my table, but yes it is SO easy! When I found out how to make the sauce for myself I was like, seriously? seriously? yes seriously!

First off you will want some chicken breasts. Here I have two pretty big ones. I think it is probably almost 2 pounds. You cook the chicken first. I used to boil chicken to cook it for meals such as this one, and I have since discovered that I hate my chicken boiled. For starters it is gross, the pot I boil it in has gross chicken yuckiness in it and it is so hard to clean off that I designated the pot as my "boiling chicken pot." Secondly it completely drys out and takes out all wonderful flavor, boiling chicken makes it seem so bland and blah.

Here is how I now cook my chicken... I come home for lunch about 1:00, then after I have eaten my lunch the last thing I do before I head back to work is put my chicken in the slow cooker (a wonderful creation!) Then you can season it to your hearts content and add a little water, just play with it. I don't get home until 6:00 so I usually keep it on low with a little water so it doesn't overcook. This time I used Cumin and Lemon Pepper to season.


After the chicken is cooked through, the recipe asks for the chicken to be cubed. I like to tear mine to shreds! This chicken comes out so moist and tender it is very easy to do this!

Then I wipe out the crock pot and prepare the sauce right in there.

2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken broth

So simple. Serve it over white rice, then you can use any topping you choose, really depends on your taste for this one, but a must in the Chow Mien Noodles for sure! I like pineapple tidbits, celery, and a little grated cheese.


Oh, BTW I found a "food" setting on my camera, hopefully I can start to take some shots that look appetizing. This looks pretty good to me.

Anyone have creative delicious toppings to try?

No comments:

Post a Comment